Aim: – GD Goenka University Campus Visit
Faculty In-charge: Dr. Deepika Garg& Dr. PriyankaTyagi
Name of Institute: Dronacharya College Gurgaon
Target Students: B.Sc. (IIIrd Year) PCM
Total no. of participants: 37 (students) and 02 faculty members
Dr. Deepika Garg and Dr. PriyankaTyagi, School of Basic and Applied Sciences, G D Goenka University organized visit of B.Sc. PCM (IIIrd Year) students of Dronacharya College, Gurgaon at G D Goenka University Campus on 21st September, 2019. A total of 37 students of Dronacharya College participated in the program with 2 faculties. The minutes of the program are as below:
- The program started with showing G D Goenka University video to the students in Auditorium. The students are given a broad view of courses offered by various schools at G D Goenka University. The students came to know about world class facilities, state of the art infrastructure, energetic learning environment, extracurricular activities, and innovative research based holistic development opportunities at G D Goenka University. There is observed huge interest among students during video.
- This is followed by lamp lighting by Professor (Dr.) Ram Krishna Thakur, Dean, School of Basic and Applied Sciences (SoBAS)along with faculty members from Dronacharya College.Professor (Dr.) Ram Krishna Thakur welcomed students and faculties afterwards. He emphasized that students are driving force for nation building and their contribution is important for national progress.
- Thakur further stated that science is building block of any society. He further touched historical aspects of development of science by citing examples of eminent scientists like Galileo and Michael Faraday to generate curiosity among young minds.The ancient India was a “Knowledge Superpower” with huge centers of knowledge dissemination i.e,TakshaShila, Nalanda, and Vikramshila Universities which have been disturbed by intruders to destroy Indian ancient education system. There have been great teachers in ancient India like Chanakya. He explained students about importance of basic sciences in engineering and technology. These statements raised huge curiosity and interest among the students.
- He said that knowledge and information must be passed to next generation for benefit and progress of society. He further stated that “Science Exist on Experiments”.He made students aware about laboratories and world class infrastructure available at School of Basic and Applied Sciences which are meant to provide best learning experience. He stated that we believe you are hope for future. Our ultimate aim is to develop a progressive mind set with critical and independent thinking.He cited example of Nobel Laureate Alfred Nobel who established Nobel Foundation in 1901 for giving highest honor to people who serve society with knowledge.
- Finally, he introduced students with School of Basic and Applied Sciences – vision, mission, SIM, and programs. He stated that experiential and research based learning is an important component at SoBAS to provide all possible opportunities for giving knowledge and building understanding. At the end, he introduced students with faculty members.The session has been highly interactive and interesting for students. The student queries were addressed with satisfactory scientificinsightto generate further interest.
The welcome address was followed by students visit to physics, chemistry, and computer laboratories where students were given exposure to various analytical instruments and innovative practical activities to ignite curiosity and scientific temperament in young minds. The students were divided into Group A and Group B for laboratory session. The Group A was led by Ms. Jagriti&Mr. BaljeetYadavwhile Group B was led by Dr. Binitendra Mongal& Dr. ShashankKamble.
- Chemistry Laboratory Visit(C009):This session was conducted by Dr. SoumitaTalukdar and consisted of brief introduction to practical activities conducted. There weregiven demonstration of operation and application of various instruments such as UV-VisibleSpectrophotometer, Sonicator, pH meter, Conductivity Meter, Distillation unit, Magnetic Stirrer, and Water bath etc.
- Computer LaboratoryVisit:This session is conducted by Mr. Rajvir Singh and Dr. Renu Chaudhary. The session involvedconduction of experiment session on “Advanced features of Microsoft word” by Mr. Rajvir Singh.He efficiently conducted the session with the basic commands of Microsoft word i.e. document writing, formatting, and mathematical equations writing in Microsoft word. He further increased student curiosity by explaining advanced features of Microsoft word and significance of computer software. This was followed by interactive session with Dr. Renu Chaudhary who had discussed all the potential prospects pertaining to Mathematical Sciences and its allied fields. Dr. Renu Chaudhary focused upon the scope and opportunities for employment in the fields of basic sciences.
- Physics Lab Visit(C-008):Dr. Shashikant Gupta demonstrated experiments based on diffraction of light and thermodynamics. Students were also introduced to Michelson Interferometer experiment and Newton Rings experiment by Dr. Supreet. Some students showed keen interest in the experiments and asked for higher studies prospects in physics. The session has beenhighly interactive and knowledgeable for students.
The students were provided with lunch at student refectory. There was collected student feedback also at the end of the event. This has been a great experience for the students. There was observed huge excitement and curiosity among students to know about G D Goenka University and have experiential active learning experience. The welcome interactive session by Professor (Dr.) Ram Krishana Thakur has been of special interest among students which ignited young brains for creative thinking and scientific enquiry. The students enjoyed laboratory sessions as well with high interest. It has been an interesting experience for students to learn scientific concepts.